Monday, November 20, 2017

A rug of sorts

I had been thinking for a while about where and how to get a rug for the family room.  The main considerations were that it had to be colorful, without an overly busy design, and non-scratchy. I decided that I wanted to make a rug, and I worked out a color scheme--based on some of our wedding pictures that were taken at the beach--and a general design.  I even started pricing materials.

Then my husband came home with at least two yards' worth of Ikea decorating fabric (heavy cotton).  The design, from a few years ago, is modernist with Alpine motifs; I call it the "drowning goats" fabric because there are two swimming goats in the design, and I am not fond of goats.

I noticed that the fabric colors were almost exactly the same as the colors I had chosen for the rug.  So I started using it as a rug.  Later on, before its first washing, I stitched around the edges with a zigzag stitch, to keep it from fraying.

Since it is cotton, and I am terrible at stain removal, it has picked up some dirt that didn't wash out.  But I like it anyway, for the color that it adds to the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment