Monday, March 4, 2019

A bench by the front door

A wooden shelf came home with us from church one day--about one foot wide by four and a half feet long, with slots along the back edge for pamphlets.

It sat in the garage for a while as I tried to figure out what to do with it.

Finally I had the idea of making it into a bench.

Then it sat for another long while, as I thought about how to make a base for it. The shelf has a back piece, and wooden brackets underneath, and is fairly heavy.

Eventually I got to the point where I wanted to get it out of my garage more than I cared about making an attractive base for it, and I decided that I could set it on two plastic milk crates, temporarily.

The milk crates that we have are strong enough to support the weight; some aren't.

I got it all set up with the milk crates opening toward the front, and then I put some of our larger books in them. We still have more books than bookshelves.

The bench works well as a place to put on boots and to unload things that are being brought in. The baby likes to climb up on it to look out of the front windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment