Monday, August 19, 2019

Direction

I've been thinking about the runner some more, and looking at the materials that we have.

Eventually, it occurred to me that I could pray and ask for one.

The answer that came back immediately was that I already had everything I needed to make it.

I take that as meaning that I should go with the best option that I have on hand, the repurposed jute, and for coloring it use acrylic paints that I have.

As I mentioned previously, knitting it will use the quantity of jute that I have most economically.  This knit rug will be going over the existing bits of carpet.

Earlier I researched possible knitting patterns, and did a test swatch. I think I can get away with using multiple knitting needles across the width, so I won't have to make longer needles.

The reason I was hesitating to use the jute is that it is not really a very strong or durable fiber.  But if I color it with diluted acrylic paint, that will help it a bit.

In a previous attempt to use paint as dye, I had problems with it not dissolving evenly, so this time I am going to thin it down more gradually, and it will probably help that I have better-quality paint than I did then.

No comments:

Post a Comment