Friday, October 4, 2019

The cost of handmade clothing

I came upon a historian's analysis about how much labor was involved in making clothing before the Industrial Revolution.

She took an example from the Middle Ages:

So, 7 hours for sewing, 72 for weaving, 500 for spinning, or 579 hours total to make one shirt. At minimum wage - $7.25 an hour - that shirt would cost $4,197.25.
And that's just a standard shirt.
And that's not counting the work that goes into raising sheep or growing cotton and then making the fiber fit for weaving. Or making the thread for the sewing.
And you'd still need pants (tights or breeches) or a skirt, a bodice or vest, a jacket or cloak, stockings, and, if at all possible, but a rare luxury, shoes.

I believe linen was one of the major fibers, at least in northern Europe, but processing flax is also very labor-intensive.

Her estimate of a weaving speed of 2 inches per hour is exactly what I had estimated for my own speed making the rug.

In a sock-knitting booklet, I found a short history of socks that claims that before the time of Queen Elizabeth, people wore hose made of woven fabric, sometimes cut on the bias (diagonally), and that the fashion for knitted stockings only began when someone presented the Queen with a pair of knitted silk stockings.

I don't think my sock-knitting speed is as fast as two inches per hour, so I find this somewhat believable, although I also believe that someone, somewhere, must have worn knitted socks before Queen Elizabeth's time.
I've noticed how much emphasis in Proverbs 31 is placed on the manufacture of textiles. Another example would be in Greek myths, where noblewomen are often described as highly-skilled weavers. I have concluded that spinning and weaving are harder skills to master than growing food, and are very necessary skills to keep alive. That is part of why I built my little table loom and started learning to weave rugs.

The textile industry in the U.S. has been almost completely wiped out by cheap imports, with both the labor and the environmental damage being moved overseas. There is production of high-quality, sustainably-made fabric going on the U.S. still, but on a small scale, and it costs about ten times more than an import would.





No comments:

Post a Comment