Monday, May 4, 2020

Fine adjustments

I have been thinking about something from Cozy Minimalist Home which says that our furnishings should have both presence (style) and breathing room. That was why I was working recently on decorating and painting a cardboard box for the children's paper supply:  the papers are in a very central position on the bookshelves, and without the box, they tended to spread widely.

The puff paint embossing worked out well, aside from the paint coming out of the bottles rather unevenly. I did have to wipe off and redo a few parts before it dried, because I smeared them while working on other parts. After it dried thoroughly, but before painting over it, I did a pencil rubbing, to see how the relief turned out. The paper stuck to the paint in a few places, but only slightly.

The whole thing got two coats of paint, with paint that I wanted to use up as the undercoat, and craft paint for the top coat.  Dried and in place, the box does add style to that part of the room.

I also made one or two other small changes to the arrangement of things on the bookshelves, to help with the breathing room issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment