Monday, May 21, 2018

Grab and go water and emergency water at the same time

We keep several half-gallon (64 oz.) plastic juice bottles full of clean water in the basement for an emergency water supply. These will keep for months, if you put in two drops of chlorine bleach (per half gallon of water), and keep them in a dark place.  (The name-brand bleach that I have is 8.3% sodium hypochlorite.)

It is a good idea to rotate these bottles and their contents occasionally, as neither will last forever. One way I do that is to grab one when we're on the way out the door to go on an impromptu outdoor adventure. Two birds with one stone:  rotating the water, and preventing unplanned purchases of bottled water.

I don't buy juice regularly, but three or four bottles a year is enough to replace the older water bottles long before they fail--I've never had one fail in storage yet.

1 comment:

  1. Food and Emergency storage is my next venture I want to begin to do.

    ReplyDelete