Friday, May 18, 2018

Why modern clothing doesn't fit: Hat edition

I just learned that modern one-size-fits-most women's hats are made for 22-inch heads.  (There is some good hat sizing information here.)  My head circumference is 23 inches, which is on the larger end of Large.

I had noticed that the few hats I tried were always too small--one of them, made of fabric, I did significant alterations to, to give myself head room--but I didn't realize that it was a generalized sort of not-fitting-ness.

The book that I learned this tidbit from is The Lost Art of Dress (I am not an Amazon affiliate), by Linda Przybyszewski. It is an interesting look at some of the history of professional home economists in this country, and, as the title says, also conveys some inklings of just what has been lost to common knowledge in the area of dress, in the last few decades.  Well worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment