Saturday, December 15, 2018

Big progress on the fabric stash

I spent most of yesterday reorganizing my fabric stash and sewing-projects-in-progress. It had gotten into a horrible muddle, and I was getting very little sewing done.

I brought it all--some of it was in the basement--up to our school room, threw it into a huge pile, and slowly sorted it out.

Some pieces I didn't want or need, so I cut them up for use as disposable kitchen wipes, and stuffed them into quart jars.  Now I have four jars full of them.

I realized, as I was cutting the fabrics, that I was, in a way, "canning" them. Some people can food, but I can bits of fabric.

With the price of paper towels being over $2 per roll these days, it is not such a bad idea.  A quart of fabric wipes will last us a week, or two, or three.  Big spills we wipe up with washable towels; these wipes are for cleaning greasy pans and smaller and messier drips.

I started doing this with the passage of the Affordable Care Act. Our health insurance cost is going up another nine percent next year, so I will keep on doing so. Kimberley-Clark really should get their lobbyists to work on this; there's a whole generation here growing up without paper towels.

The down side of doing so much fabric cutting is the dust that is created; tiny bits of fiber all over.

Another benefit of the sorting is that I found several mending projects that only needed a few minutes each; a series of quick wins. I also found several items that just needed to go into our to-donate box.

With those things taken care of, now my fabrics and projects fit into the space that I have to store them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment