Monday, February 11, 2019

Living room accessories

This final phase of cozy-minimalizing my living room went very quickly--I don't have many horizontal display surfaces in my living room, and I decided not to add any more; there is enough going on in there already.

Pillows and throws were already in place; check those off the list.

One spot that did need attention was the top of my kitchen cabinets, which is very visible from the living room.

The space there is very cramped because of a dropped ceiling, so I had to choose objects six inches in height or shorter. We had some large sea shells and pottery with interesting shapes and colors, so that is what I put there.

Then it took a few tries to get them arranged attractively.

Our other main accessories are a vintage sewing machine, minus its cabinet, and one of my husband's light-up electronics projects.

I made room for a basket of interesting things to read, and found a big shallow pottery bowl to hold all of the little things that seem to pile up while waiting to be put away. It helps a lot with keeping the room looking neat and tidy.

The last surface is a small ledge where collected pebbles tend to end up. I edited the collection a bit, and left it at that.

I still have rug repairs to complete, and then the room is basically "done". I have been letting the half of the room that is not the Sitting Area be used flexibly, and that seems the best solution; it gets used in different ways depending on what the family is doing. Often that means moving chairs in from the dining room, which is a bit inconvenient at mealtimes, but we do have multiple people who can move chairs back now, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment