Monday, February 4, 2019

Rug repairs continue, and some knitting

I'm a bit more than halfway through the twelve or so feet of rug edges that need reinforcement. It is tedious...but not as tedious as weaving new rugs would be.

I did a quick knitting project, a simple headband in garter stitch.

I also bought some yarn to make a new winter hat for myself, since I shrunk the old one in the wash. The yarn was a brown with yellow undertones, rather than the red ones that work better for me, so I overdyed it with cherry Kool-Aid--just one packet was enough for eight ounces of yarn. The yarn took up the artificial color almost completely, and held onto it.  Now it is drying.

Kool-Aid dyeing instructions are here; I used slightly different ones, which called for 2 ounces of vinegar per ounce of yarn.

I had already knitted up a little sample piece and sent it through the laundry with hot water...it felted very nicely. I was careful during dyeing and rinsing to avoid sudden changes of water temperature; I didn't need the yarn felting too soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment