Saturday, June 1, 2019

Big bed in a small room

Because of the distribution of children in our family, we made the master bedroom a shared children's room, and put our bed in one of the smaller bedrooms. It's a king-size bed, so it takes up most of the floor space.

The bed left just enough room at its foot for a narrow walkway to the closet and to the far side of the room; the path always felt cramped.

But! I just had an idea! A king-sized bed is not exactly a square, even though it looks like one. It is a few inches longer than it is wide...so, if I turned the bed sideways--just the bed, not us--then I could free up a little more space at the foot, which would make it easier to get around the bed.

I tried it, and I found that turning the bed gave me three more inches. Which doesn't sound like a big difference, but now I can walk straight through there, instead of having to turn sideways a bit and sidle through.

I lost three inches at the sides of the bed, but it doesn't matter as much, because there was more room there to begin with.

I'm not sure this change is going to sit well with my husband, though--his feet were hanging off the end of the bed even before I moved it.  I'll have to see how long it takes him to notice.


No comments:

Post a Comment