Sunday, March 8, 2020

Mending tiny holes in a vinyl floor

Over time, some tiny holes have appeared in our "linoleum" kitchen floor, which is otherwise in good condition for its age. Judging by the style, it must be at least twenty years old.

My preferred fix is to touch up the holes with nail polish, which dries very quickly and is durable and somewhat flexible at the same time. The best time to do touch-ups is right before waxing the floor.

I ended up buying the two colors of nail polish that were nearest to the colors in the vinyl, and mixing small amounts of them as needed.

I used a bamboo skewer to apply the nail polish to each hole, and then blotted it lightly with a scrap of fabric. At that point, the hole generally disappeared from casual view.

Nail polish shrinks quite a bit as it dries, so you can't expect to fill a hole and have it be level with the rest of the floor.

Of course, after I waxed the floor, I found a number of other little holes that needed fixing. I wasn't entirely happy about putting the nail polish on over the floor wax--which is actually a polymer, and which in my opinion would likely be dissolved by the acetone in the nail polish.

But since the holes were bothering me, I went ahead and fixed those, too. There was no visible effect on the floor wax around the spots I painted. There is a difference in reflectance between the nail polish and floor wax, though, which makes the fixes visible at certain angles, at close range.

No comments:

Post a Comment