Sunday, June 14, 2020

A signal for the sickroom

Sickroom isn’t quite the right word for the bedroom where the newest Baby of Unusual Size and I have been hanging out since his home birth last week. It is at the far end of the house, and can go without attention from the rest of the family for hours at a time...which is sometimes too long.

A couple of weeks ago, my husband looked into why the doorbell, an older wireless model with a button and a chime that communicate by radio, wasn’t working. We had a similar one, new in the box, that had been handed down to us at some point. I’m not sure exactly what he ended up doing, something like replacing the original button with the new one we had, I think. They can work on the same frequency.

Later on, I got the idea of taking one of the buttons and using it to ring the doorbell and summon assistance when needed. He must have given me the only one that worked. Anyway, it works fine from the bedroom, and it has been very helpful more than once.

In other topics, I am finding this pantry/craft space inspiring; it has been a while since I have been able to have a little crafting space of my own.

Kevin Roche looks at Minnesota coronavirus trends. The case numbers have remained fairly flat to slightly declining. The number of long-term care facilities with cases is over 200 now, I read somewhere last week, out of something like 1700 total in the state. While the state has been working to contain this epidemic-within-a-pandemic, I still see a high potential for these facilities to be infected. It will just be spread out over several years, and considering the turnover of residents that can happen over such a time period, it is likely that places that had been cleared before will see fresh outbreaks later on.

So I still expect to see cumulative Minnesota deaths run up into five digits, eventually. They are at about 1300 now. At the same time, I think it is time for Governor Walz to stop twiddling the dials. There is an effort being made now to recall him, but apparently the law requires trying him in the state Supreme Court, and only if that is successful can there be a special election held to try to vote him out.

4 comments:

  1. I am catching up on your blog and it is wonderful you having a baby at home. I am a retired nurse and I loved working in OB/Labor. Seeing a new life coming into the world and they radiate Hope and life. You say a baby of "Unusual size" May I ask the particulars? Did you have any complications? Like I said I worked Labor and Delivery, but, I am an advocate for Home Birthing. All you need is a quiet, clean place with adequate supplies and towels. Hospitals are an poor, artificial place to birth. No need unless you or the baby is high risk. Congratulations and be proud and God Bless you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Baby was just over 11 pounds; no complications. Just another strapping boy like his brothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make them big! I was a twin, I was 7#8oz, and my sister was 7#1oz. 15 pounds of baby and about 12 to 14 pounds of amniotic fluid and placenta. My mother was huge and we were full term babies. Again congratulations! How many other children do you have?

      Delete
  3. Enough that we're going to be buying a vehicle with seats in the double digits soon.

    ReplyDelete