Friday, June 19, 2020

I made something

I’m not the first woman to have felt a lower level of creative energy during gestation. I am starting to remember now some of the things that I wanted to make.

One of those things was a toddler dress, using fabric from an old skirt that was among the fabrics that my mother-in-law gave us.

I had a little time, and sat down to figure it out. I decided to use the waistband of the skirt as the neckline, and keep the lower edge with its hem the same. That left the sides and armholes, which I marked with chalk and then sewed, along with joining the necklines at each shoulder.

To finish it, I added a long piece of bias tape around the front waist, leaving the ends loose to be tied at the back. There was a setback at this point, as I was distracted by people running in and out, and caught some of the back of the dress in the seam I was sewing. It took a minute to pick out those stitches and get going again.

The finished dress is loosely draped, and very similar to a “pillowcase dress”, which is traditionally made from a pillowcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment