Monday, January 29, 2018

Account review

It is a good time of year to get financial matters straightened out. I just noticed (since I read or at least skim through every statement we get) that one of our less-used accounts started charging a $5 per month inactive account fee...no, thanks!

We've also been dealing with rounds of colds, along with a heavy snowfall last week that took some work to clear. 

I did manage to get some sewing done for the couch cushion cover. I am using the polyester fabrics to make a sort of strip quilt for it, but without batting. I am nearly done with the top now, but need to reinforce the seams in a few places where my stitching strayed too close to the edge of the fabric.

I've also been working on getting rid of my children's play clothes that are made of gray fabric...gray looks drab, yet it fails to hide the dirt (which is a warm brown color in these parts).

The couch cover has a lot of gray, but I tried to warm the colors slightly by giving it a bath in tea-based dye (cheap tea bags in hot water; remove bags before dyeing). This was only partially successful, probably because there was too much detergent residue in the utility sink that I was using. My test swatches, dyed in a pan, took up more of the brown tea color.

I have been doing a lot of reading:  books that we have and love, books that we have but that I've never read, books that my husband checked out of the library for himself, my own library books, and even a few books that I purchased with Christmas money.

No comments:

Post a Comment