Friday, January 19, 2018

Apron

I wanted to get back into the habit of wearing an apron for housework and cooking. Not having one, I sewed a simple apron, based on measurements of myself and a quick sketch that I made of an apron shape. For fabric I used a thrift-store cotton tablecloth. I finished the apron with a pocket and some handed-down rickrack for trim.

Then, as I was trying it out, I remembered why I had given up on wearing aprons...because I am constantly going back and forth between preparing food and changing diapers, along with cleaning up the occasional Terrible Mess. Either I would have to be as careful about keeping the apron clean as I am about my clothes, or I would have to take it off and put it back on all the time, or I would have to ignore all the nasty germs that I might be carrying around on it.

So I've decided to reserve it mainly for when I am baking, for now--I am a bit messy with the flour, and I usually end up wearing some of it. In a few years I'll likely be baking more frequently and for much longer at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment