Monday, February 19, 2018

Sabbatical project: Useful tinkering

The latches on our first-aid kit's plastic case broke off when it was dropped. I got tired of not being able to close it securely, and worked out a solution one day for new latches of a sort.

For simplicity, I'll describe how I did one side, but actually I did one of these on each side, for secure closure.

I used an elastic hair tie to make a loop. I drilled a hole, fed one end of the loop into the case through it, and secured that end with a paper clip. Then, on the other half of the case, aligned with it, I drilled another hole and put a short bolt through it, securing it loosely with a nut on the inside.

The end of the hair tie loops over the head of the bolt, holding the case closed. I may have done some fiddling before drilling to make sure the lengths worked out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment