Monday, April 2, 2018

Decoupaged wastebasket

I missed the opportunity to buy a plastic wastebasket in the color I wanted, while that color was still in style.  But there is more than one way to skin a horse....

I had a sheet of paper from one of my marbling-with-shaving-cream experiments (method described briefly here), marbled in the color that I wanted. I used decoupage medium to glue it to one side of our black wastebasket, and then sealed it with another coat of decoupage medium.

I don't know how to do this without the paper wrinkling to some extent, but the marbled pattern hides the wrinkles fairly well.

This wastebasket lives under our bathroom sink; now it is a welcome burst of color when I open the cabinet door.

There is room for improvement, though, in that the wastebasket still shows a strip of black at the bottom; I should have papered it from the bottom up rather than from the top down, since the top edge is usually covered by a plastic bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment