Friday, January 4, 2019

Books, books, books

Most of my Christmas money this year has gone to books; books are still one of the very best micro-investments, if chosen carefully.

What I look for in a book that is to be an investment, rather than merely entertainment, is whether it can do one of the following:

1.  Help me learn to do something useful, or...

2.  Help me avoid making an expensive mistake.

A book that can help me in one of those ways can yield returns far beyond the initial cost. In some cases, the real value of a book exceeds the value of its weight in gold.

I've been reading the Bible aloud to one of my children, and I've noticed how the vocabulary, history, psychology, and ideas in it are an education all in themselves. The world is becoming not only post-Biblical, but post-biblical, but some things are getting lost in the transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment