Monday, December 9, 2019

Finds

I got some of my Christmas shopping done at the thrift store, but I also found a couple of other things while I was there.

The first was four spools of cotton carpet warp thread. I can definitely use these, since I have found that crochet cotton thread is a bit weak for the warp of the things I am trying to weave.

The other was a copy of The Brothers Lionheart, a children's book by Astrid Lindgren, originally written in Swedish. Last year, in a different thrift store, I bought a Norwegian translation of it. With a little help from the pictures and a Norwegian dictionary, I read it all the way through, over and over, and basically worked it out like a hundred-page puzzle. Norwegian has a lot of similarities to English, although there is a twist to them, and that helped a lot. By the sixth time through the book, I could understand most of it, or at least I thought I could.

So it is exciting to have the English translation now, and see how well I did in figuring out the Norwegian. So far, it looks like I got most of it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment