Friday, July 30, 2021

Mini chandelier mobile

Messing around with plastics a little. For the hangy bits of this project, I made hot glue teardrop shapes on a sheet of aluminum foil, and then tore away the foil around the edges when the glue was cool. 

I used an entire long glue stick, so I had many extras and could choose the best ones.

The circular rim of a plastic food container became the structure.  I sewed the teardrops onto it with "invisible" plastic sewing thread, which is annoying to work with--springy and hard to see. I didn't have any trouble pushing the needle through the glue, and none of my needle holes ripped out.

I also used the invisible thread to hang the mobile.  I ran up four threads, got them more or less evenly tensioned, and then spun the rim to twist them together for a length, which I knotted.

It turned out there was already a handy nail for hanging things above the planned kitchen sink location, so installation went quickly, with the addition of some more invisible thread. 

I thought of coating the backs of the teardrops with hot glue as I was sewing them on.  There are color variations as some of the glue I used was old and yellowed.  It was fiddly keeping the sewing tension loose enough for the teardrops to hang straight.

I only did one round, but others could be added.


No comments:

Post a Comment