Monday, January 3, 2022

Mostly good

The holidays went well for us, aside from me discovering that the freezer plug had been knocked loose, and that the food in the freezer was well above refrigerator temperature.  It is not a large freezer, and it was only about half full, so it was not a huge loss, just disappointing.

I set up a sewing station for myself in our library, and have been working on a sewing project using a commercial dress pattern.  I used an old sheet to make a "muslin" version first, for fittings and pattern adjustments, which turned out to be a very good idea, as the initial fit was poor, being far too small in several places, and large in others.  I did find a zipper in my stash, and I had the fabrics and thread already, so the only cash outlay was for the pattern.

I ignored my mending pile from about Labor Day until Christmas, but after that did most of the easier repairs.

Last month I also made a batch of homemade laundry soap, using scraps of bar soap, and borax and washing soda (recipe should be in one of the posts under the recipes tag), now that we are no longer living in a rental with a high-efficiency washer.  I've previously worked out that this laundry soap does tend to leave a thin build-up of soap scum over the laundry, but that that probably protects the fibers to some extent.  I still use regular detergent for my husband's clothes.  The grocery store was out of borax for several weeks, but eventually restocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment