Monday, September 11, 2023

Heritage

Child is home from the hospital, much improved.

Inheritance these days is mostly nonlinear/nonlineage.  I made it to an estate sale over the weekend.  Husband reported that their sign said they would be charging half-price in the afternoon.  I got there just as they were changing their sign to "Everything free".  Clearly the old person's children didn't want to deal with it any more than they had to.  Most of what was left at that point was furniture, not of interest to me at this stage, but I found a couple of bags of useful items, a desk lamp that a child needed, and a large wooden drying rack.  

I also found a vintage wooden sewing machine case at a yard sale; no machine, just the case.  I bought it for the hinges that the machine slides onto, to replace one for my great-grandmother's machine that was lost sometime after the last move.

The hinges turned out to not be the right depth for the sewing machine cabinet, but the case was a close enough fit for the sewing machine, and now it will be a lot easier to store it somewhere besides on the library desk.  I think I can make the hinges work for the cabinet later on by putting in a new piece of oak where they meet.

1 comment:

  1. When my parents passed within four months apart, siblings(5) and other relatives weren't interested in much except cash... Selling at a estate sale, nobody was much interested in good solid and in good furniture. Being the Executor, I ended up giving what most was left over to a local thrift store.

    ReplyDelete