Wednesday, April 10, 2019

A pillowcase

One of my pillowcases wore out to the point of tearing as I was taking it off the pillow. It was a hand-me-down from my mother-in-law; she buys very nice linens, but it seems like the high-thread-count fabrics often don't last as long as the coarser ones do.

I looked around at the fabric I had, and found a fitted crib sheet in mint green that we no longer need. Using an intact pillowcase as a pattern, I was able to cut out just one pillowcase; there wasn't enough fabric for two. The leftover scraps went into the future-quilt stash.

The sewing was straightforward. I chose to do French seams, for neatness and for practice.

I finished the pillowcase by trimming the edge with some white crocheted lace that I had. This was from some garage sale that my relatives went to; someone had cleaned out their sewing stash, and all their odds and ends ended up at my house--and were very welcome, too.

The lace was in two pieces, and looked like it had been made for trimming a pair of pillowcases, but never used. I had them draped over the mirror in my bedroom for a long time, as nonfragile decor, and then across one of the windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment