Monday, April 1, 2019

This is the chart that I have been looking for

Comparison of the temperatures of different burning gasses. Note that these are significantly lower than they are given elsewhere on the internet; don't ask me why. I'll put the elsewhere temperatures in parentheses.

Most notable ones are:

MAPP gas:  2900 deg F  (3670, 3730)
Propane:  1950 deg F  (3600)
Natural gas (methane):  2750 deg F  (3500)
Butane:  1760 deg F

From elsewhere, I'll add:

Methanol (available as that HEET stuff for cars):  3398 deg F
Ethanol:  3488 deg F

The linked page also has melting points of various metals:

Aluminum:  1220 deg F
Copper:  1981 deg F
Iron/Steel:  2802 deg F
Tin:  450 deg F

Once upon a time, I took a glass-bead-making class, and used a MAPP gas torch.

In the slightly less distant past, I heated pennies to red hot over a little methanol-burning camp stove, and was able to shape and work them. I used my very long stainless-steel tweezers from the beadmaking class to hold each penny in the flame.

In addition, here are glue gun temperatures:

Hot melt glue gun:  375-450 degrees F
Low melt glue gun:  250 degrees F

I was wondering if the low melt glue gun would melt paraffin, but apparently it is far too hot for the job.


No comments:

Post a Comment