Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Fifteen and fifteen

We have learned that our health insurance will be going up by another fifteen percent. The new plan actually offers somewhat better coverage, but it appears that it will cover a narrower range of services than before. We still have some number of years before it becomes impossible for my husband's employer to offer "affordable" health insurance as defined by the Affordable Care Act, and we all get sent off to the exchange, but the trend is definitely in that direction.

On the brighter side, an elderly woman with a large fabric stash is downsizing and giving her fabric to the sewing circle at my church. She brought in a big stack of flannel, and I came away with something like fifteen yards of it. I will be making pajama pants, cloth diapers and wipes, a few cloth menstrual pads, and from the leftover scraps, some little disposable kitchen wipes.

I have some other sewing planned as well, and did a bit of a cutting-out party yesterday. I like doing the planning, designing, and cutting-out of sewing projects, but not the actual sewing so much. I'm going to move my sewing machine so that I can sit at it for a day or two or sewing; sewing while standing keeps the machine away from the toddler, but gets tiring if I'm doing a lot of sewing.

Also notable is that we recently received several bags of children's clothing from families in our church, whose children had outgrown them. We have very rarely had to buy our children new (or new used) clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment