Thursday, April 23, 2020

Improvements

The neighbors handed down their children's outgrown bikes to us. They have been enjoying them.

I made another fabric-covered box, for storing baby clothes. The box I used was a bit shallow, so I measured the depth of the box plus the width of one flap, divided it by two, and scored a line across the flap at that point. This enabled me to fold the each flap down into the box so that it just came down to the bottom, making the sides taller and stronger.

With the proliferation of both economic insecurity and cardboard boxes from deliveries, it reminded me of the Seventies books Nomadic Furniture and Nomadic Furniture 2, which included a lot of cardboard structures...all the way up to a cardboard car seat, which would not be at all legal today.

Another idea I had for the fabric-covered box was to use clothespins to help hold the fabric in place until I could sew it. They were helpful.

Since the toddler is learning to open doors, we needed to pull out one of the plastic childproofing doorknob covers that we have. The problem was that the stem of the doorknob was too big for it to close around. But I was able to trim the doorknob cover with a pocketknife to make the hole large enough to fit.

I also used a pocketknife to trim some sharp edges off the plastic lid of the dish soap bottle that my husband likes to refill and re-use.  One less tactile annoyance.

No comments:

Post a Comment