Wednesday, June 6, 2018

WiaW: Planning session 3

Planning for next week's "Wardrobe in a Week" continues....

I still haven't had a big-enough block of truly free time for trying on and evaluating the clothing that I already have. But I got the idea of just wearing some of the clothes that I don't wear as often, this week while I'm planning. Most of the rest, I wear frequently enough that I don't really need to try them on.

I set a budget of $25 for the week. I started with $5, but realized that this is an area where I should be spending a bit more than that, at this time in my life. Some of the clothes I am replacing are five--or even ten--years old and have been in regular use that whole time.

I have been keeping my eyes open around the house for potential materials. We have multiple fabric stashes in this house, along with a shelf in the linen closet that is jammed full of sheets. I have even been eying my bedroom curtains, but I know they are very faded in places.

I checked out a seamstress's book from the library (Anna Zapp's The Zapp Method of Couture Sewing, which seems quite good, although more oriented toward personalizing commercial patterns than toward drawing your own). I used her measuring scheme, which involves taking something like seventy measurements, for taking my own measurements. She recommends always rounding a measurement up, if in doubt--it's much easier to alter something in the direction of smaller rather than larger.

Another of her tips is to take garments that fit you well, and measure the ease (the extra room built into the garment so it's not skintight and you can move) at various points. I haven't done that yet, but I made a list of clothes to measure when I get a chance.

I also took a look at my fabric store coupons; I'm likely going to be buying at least some fabric and elastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment